Snakes in Pakistani Folklore




The familiar face of a snake charmer—notorious factory where superstition are manufactured and spread. To earn living. They go on polishing their stories to make them more believe able and fantastic. It is the art of Jogies.


                       
----- Extract From  
Prof. Muhammad Sharif Khan 2002. A guide to the snakes of Pakistan. Edition Chimaira, Frankfurt am Main, pp. 265.
------- 2002. Die Schlangen Pakistans. Edition Chimaira, Frankfurt am Main, pp. 265.


Snakes in Pakistani folklore

                Unlike neighboring Singhalese, Indian and southeast Asian civilizations, Muslim beliefs and thoughts do not nurture superstitions and myths. Whatever mythological figures are referred to in Pakistani literature, has been borrowed from Indian, Roman and Greek sources. On the other hand Pakistani folklore is enriched with stories and narratives based on misinterpretation of observation of-natural phenomenon. Mostly such-explanations-are-borrowed from Indian beliefs to give lores a mythical touch,-but it-is not incorporated in basic religious Muslim-dogma, which purely-believes-in-Oneness of-Almighty God, creator-of-all animals,-plants and natural phenomena. It is further inculcated in Islamic belief that all animals and plants are created to serve man, who is supreme in the whole creation.
            A folklore takes ages to ripe, mature and spread in far and wide.-Though folklores do not interfere with religious dogma, however they weaken one's belief in religion. Birth of a folklore is purely observational, amalgamated with truths. Partial facts coming from different sources are worked on by several brains to arrive at most seemingly logical story, much of which is mere fabrication.
            In fact folklores depict how keenly our common man observes, thinks, interrelates and logically concludes. A lore gradually spreads from one to another, told as old wives' tale, and remains ever fresh while traveling among folks. Pakistani snake folklores can clearly be trace to different cultures of the subcontinent.
            The subcontinent is predominantly agricultural. Changes in its seasons are reflected in its flora and fauna. It is rich in its herpetofauna; reptiles, especially snakes are frequent encoun­tered animals in fields, pastures, waters and deserts. In past, snake bite accidents were frequent while medical care was meager. Common man had to rely on local hakims and vaids, who claimed-to have cure for snake bite and-as a proof they told stories relat­ing-the-curing-abilities-of-their-teachers,-certain-great hakims, vaids,-pundants and mandries, the pivot figures in-folklores.- They are said to have roamed about in Himalayas and deserts of Sindh and Balochistan for years until they discovered some herb-or mantra. To keep attention-of the audience, wondrous snake-stories-are told, which make rounds-in-several households-of-the village, among young and old,-each subsequent narrator adding his/her part to make the story more-mythical and supernatural.
            In following section a selection of five most narrated folklores in folk meetings and literature is presented, to illustrate common beliefs-held about snakes-by the public. These lores illustrate how an observation is carried-on- human-imagination-invents interesting stories-and old wives' tales. To enjoy the theme of these tales fully,-it is deemed necessary to understand meanings of some-of the local terms used in these tales.

  • Batasha:-an oval, round crunchy sweet-made-from sugar. Often served on happy occasions, weddings etc.
  • Guru: teacher, religious leader.
  • Hakim: an Arabic word used for a person practicing in indigenous medicines, a wise man.
  • Hukka:-is a device prepared by binding two-pieces of curved hollow reeds and fixing them to-a central earthen-pot filled with water. A crushed lump of dried tobacco is placed on burning coal in a-cape like earthen pot on one end of the whole device and from the other end the smoke is sucked in. It is-used for smoking tobacco; known also-hubble-bubble, hookah.
  • I'd: E eed:-Yearly Muslim festival of rejoicing.
  • Mantr:-the strange and mysterious incantations-uttered by pundits-and-mantries, believed to have a magical effect-on-a patient.
  • Mandri=Mantri:-he who professes incantations to cure snake bites. They are responsible in part for spreading snake folklores in public. Generally they are also snake charmers.
  • Pundit:-A-Hindu-religious teacher; he is-held-in great reverence in Hindu religion.
  • Ji: a suffix used for reverence.
  • Raja: a small ruler.
  • Sanyasi=-Yogi=Jogi: a nomadic-tribe man,-who roams about-in desolate areas, collecting-herbs-and catching
  • snakes.- Claims to have cure for snake bite. Often fleeces innocent people. Spreads wrong beliefs in-folklores in which charismatic-healing powers of mantras and magical powers of snakes-are presented exaggerated. They are the tools who are responsible-of spreading misconceptions in general public.
  • Sadhu: simple people accompanying sanyasies, acting as their personal servants. They lead very austere life.
  • Sayyad=Shah: a pious person known to be from the dynasty of the Holy Prophet. They are generally-believed to have some charismatic powers.
  • Vaid:-a person practicing aurevadic system of medicine. He is thought to be a knowledgeable person curing different ailments.

Folklore- I


            It happened during the reign of Mogul Emperor Shah Jahan, that a regiment of soldiers was stationed to guard royal arsenal in Agra-city, India. Every night four sentries took turn to guard the depot. One night, the sentries on duty failed to report back. The search party found them and their horses dead.-Apparently their bodies showed no sign of violence and there was no wound mark to guess possible cause of their death.
            A soldier named Sayyad Muzzafer Ali Shah, was known to be a simple and pious man. Everybody in the regiment respected him. He came to the commandant and told him that the dead men and their horses were bitten by a poisonous snake.-He showed him the fang marks on the dead bodies.-Hearing this, everybody in the camp was panic-stricken.-Sayyad Sahib told the commandant that the victims could be revived if he was provided with the following items:

·         One silver cup,
·         One thousand earthen cups,
·         One piece of white silken cloth,
·         One thousand pieces of white cotton cloth,
·         Enough fresh milk to fill all the cups,
·         A large white paper,
·         A piece of charcoal,
·         A royal canopy,
·         A guilded high place (throne).

All items were readily-provided. The Sayyad-got-the canopy erected in a spacious place, and the throne was-placed under its-middle.-Then-he placed the silver cup in the-center-of-the throne, filled it with milk and covered it with the silken cloth. All the earthen cups were arranged around the throne on ground-and filled with milk and covered with cotton cloths.-
            Then Shah-Sahib requested the commandant to order-soldiers-to fall-in double row in front of the throne, leaving a passage-in the-middle. His request was immediately taken care of. Then,-he stood-close to the throne and chanted some words in some-incomprehensible language-and at the same time writing-on-the paper with-the-piece of charcoal. Lo!-there-began appearing snakes of different-kinds sizes and-colors,-some were large, some medium-sized, small, thin, some were broad, in-short almost every variety of snakes was present there.-Each snake,-went-straight to-the earthen cup nearest to it,-in-an orderly way and sat close to it. Whole atmosphere was filled with authoritative-chanting voice of Shah Sahib, who went on-writing and chanting uninterrupted, and the rustling-noise of wriggling of the snakes added an aura of mystery to the-atmosphere.---   
After half an hour, everybody's attention was attracted to a huge hooded black snake which appeared at the end of the passage. A small beautiful snake-was riding on its hood, it had a-golden crown on its head. It was followed by several hundred snakes.-As the golden crowned snake entered the pavilion, Shah-Sahib-came forward-and-welcomed him and showed him to the throne and-all-other snakes bent their heads in respect. Shah Sahib begged to be pardoned-for giving trouble to the king of snakes. He-explained to the king of snakes by pointing towards the dead bodies of four men-and-their horses and said he wanted the-culprit-snake-be called and punished. At this the king snake said something to the large black hooded snake, who hurriedly left the pavilion.-There prevailed-pin-drop-silence; even the breathing-sound-of-the audience-was audible. After about half an hour or so the-large-black snake appeared dragging behind a smaller black snake, who at the-sight of- king snake began trembling all over. The king snake pointed to-the dead bodies of men and horses. The small black-snake went-to each of them and sucked the poison from the fang-marks on their bodies. And-Lo! before all,-to their bewilderment, the-erstwhile-dead men and horses stood up and looked around in amazement.
            Then Sayyad-Sahib-went forward respectfully and uncovered-the silver cup and requested the king-snake to honor him by accepting the-cupful of milk. The king-snake readily dipped its-mouth-in the-cup and drank it empty. Shah Sahib wiped its mouth with-the silken cloth. Then all rest of the snakes drank from their cups.-
            Then-Shah Sahib requested the king-snake to allow him to-punish the culprit snake. The king-snake consented by bowing its head.-Shah Sahib stood close to the king snake and began chanting and-tearing-the paper from its middle.-Suddenly-the culprit-snake began to cry and toss and roll restlessly-on-the ground. Then its body started splitting from the middle of its-head. As soon Shah Sahib finished tearing-the-paper,-the snake's body fell dead cut in two halves. Shah-Sahib requested the commandant to-order to present-guard-of-honor-to-the king-snake, after which the whole army-of snakes left.-Everyone-was astonished on what he saw, and-desired-to learn-from Shah Sahib how to call the king-snake. The commandant also requested-Shah-Sahib to teach him. Shah Sahib avoided.
            That night Sayyad Muzzafar Ali Shah slept on his cot as usual, in his tent, nobody saw him next morning, he disappeared without leaving trace. Despite the effort of the whole regiment he was nowhere to be found.


Folklore-II

            This folklore is quoted in-first person
One morning in summer, I and my servant were going to visit-a small village, in Tehsil Phalia, District Gujrat, Punjab,-Pakistan.-I was riding on a mare while the servant was walking on-my side. When we were nearing Phalia, suddenly we saw one and a half foot long snake lolling on ground in our way. We changed our course without disturbing it. When my servant, by chance, looked back he saw that the snake was following us by taking short jumps. We were terrified. I told my servant to jump up on the horseback behind me so that we-may leave the place as soon as possible. He refused to-do so, and requested me to get away fast from the danger. I quickened my-pace, the man ran for some distance along me, but-soon-was breathless. He decided to face the snake. He stood firmly holding his stick in his both hands. It was about thirty yards away from him.-By this time the snake was about five yards from him,-it suddenly-took a jump high in the air when it was dropping on-my servant. He swayed the stick and gave the dropping snake a mighty blow. It struck the snake at its midbody. I saw the snake-breaking in two halves at mid air. I heaved a sigh of relief, we both went to-look at the dead snake. Only its tail half was-lying there, we were unable to find anterior half of its body.
            To our utter amazement the stick melting away in a smoky cloud which disappeared in the sky. Peoples gathered around told us that the snake-was-very poisonous, it had been blocking the passage of passerbys for past two years.
            Soon we reached our destination. My servant ran high fever and was unconscious for two days. Hakim Sahib told me that the fever was-due-to the snake's poison-transmitted-through-the stick.-If he had held the stick longer, he would have been dead since long.--

Folklore-III

            It is stated that in a small village Gangoora, Near Bajnor, India,-a shepherd was bitten by a poisonous snake.-Despite-all efforts of local hakims and sanyasis he died of the poison. The dead-body of the shepherd was thrown in the River Ganges. At down stream a synyasi who was bathing on the bank-of-the river. He saw the floating dead body and dragged it out of water. From signs-and-appearance-of-the body he knew that it was a-victim-of-snakebite. He slit open its-skull and-lighted fire, chanted some mantras. Soon the dead-man rose up and asked for water.-
            The sanyasi taught the revived shepherd different mantras, how to deal with different snakes and cure snake-bite cases. Both sanyasi and the shepherd-roamed about-in villages and towns professing their trade and asking for alms.-By-chance, after-several years, they reached the shepherd's village. When they were roaming through streets, they-arrived at the door of shepherd's
house, members of his household recognized him, and persuaded the sanyasi-to allow the shepherd to join his family. But they-were told, if the shepherd was-separated from sanyasi, he-would die-of-the-poison. Both of them were kept-as guests in the shepherd's house for long time. However, they left the house to roam about, occasionally returning to enjoy feasts.

Folklore-IV

            Pundit Chooni Lal, who was famous vaid in Lahore, Pakistan, once-told me a true story which was related to him by-his-late Guru Ji:
            On a summer evening when the sky cleared after monsoon shower, it was pleasant outside, Guru Ji decided to have a walk in the nearby garden. As he came out of his house, he met a well dressed horseman, after exchanging greetings, the horseman told Guru Ji that he was new to the place. He wanted to stay for a night, so he requested-Guru-Ji if he could help him to find a place to rest for night. Guru Ji impressed by his dress and way of talking, readily offered him his house for the night.
As the horseman was comfortable, he introduced himself to Guru Ji that he is a mantri in the court of a nearby Raja.
            Both Mantri and Guru decided to have a walk in the garden and enjoy the pleasant evening. As they were walking suddenly a snake crossed their way. The mantri told Guru that the snake had recently bitten some person. Guru was reluctant to believe.-Mantri, to prove his assertion, requested-him-to follow-him and started walking towards the direction from-where the-snake came. Soon they were in a small village,-they-heard wailing-and-crying of women, and found that-the peoples-were preparing a dead body for last rites. They were told the dead man-was a farmer who was-bitten by a snake, a few hours ago.
            The-mantri told the people to be quiet and-stop preparing for the last rites, he promised that the dead man would be-alive again. When the people had settled down, he chanted some-mantras and took out four kuries (shell of a gastropod mollusc) from-his pocket-and threw them up in the air.-The-kuries-disappeared in the air. After half an hour, people saw a snake coming towards the gathering. The pair of kuries were moving round its head as if guiding it, while the rest third pair was covering the snake from sides, not letting it slide away to sides.-So lead, the snake came close to the dead body and-sucked and sucked the poison from the fang marks. Soon the man rose up, to-the-utter amazement of the gathered peoples.
            Later the-Mantri-told the mob that he was going to punish-the snake for its offense. He began chanting-mantras and the snake began to tremble all over restlessly tossing twitching its body on the ground.-After-some time it fell down helplessly. The Mantri held took up the snake by its tail and threw it on-a barren piece of land, away from the village. Both Guru-and Mantri returned to their village. Guru was much impressed by Mantri's-feat,-and did-his best to make him comfortable. Next morning-Mantri-took leave, despite host's insistence to stay a few days more, he left.

Last folklore

            "Well Sir, my-name-is Jamal Din and my father was Alim Din,-we-are from-Gujranwala, Punjab, Pakistan. My father was a laborer,-he-worked hard to make both ends meet. He had two-wives, first wife-was childless and-from my mother he had three sons. I-am the-youngest. Both of my elder brothers died in young age. As-I grew up, I started working in fields with my father. Soon I got a job as-a coachman in the house of a revenue officer, in Lahore.
            "In-1904, famous Kangra earthquake rocked whole of India.-At the-time of the quake I was cutting fodder for the cattle-along with-three of my friends, 3 miles away from Lahore in-Raj-Garh area. I-remember, I almost fell due to the strong jolts of the quake. On that fateful day, I was bitten by a snake on my left ankle. I almost-tore the snake away. I-well-remember the brute had a pattern of blue, yellow, green, golden and-white stripes on its body. I was greatly shocked by the bite and- felt my-heart-sinking; soon I was out of my wits, and ran-about-in fields like a madman. My friends, seeing what had happened to-me were-in panic. Hurriedly they collected the fodder and off-they went to Lahore, leaving me all alone in my agony.
---Fortunately,-a small stream-was flowing close by. I laid myself at its bank,
whenever-I-came to my senses, I washed my face with the-cold water and drank plenty of it.
- When my friends reached Lahore, they told the-revenue officer about my precarious condition, he-sent-his servants-to take me to Lahore. I was attended by Hakim Noor-Din of-Mochi Gate, Lahore. After one week, I was able to walk-round and-soon I took charge of my duties. One day, the Hakim told-me that-a receptive female snake had bitten me and from hence on-a-snake would bite me-regularly once or twice a year; this fate-I could-not escape till my death. Hearing this I was so-horrified that I remained fainted for several hour. I felt myself the-most miserable person in whole Lahore.
            At-the-time-of this unfortunate incidence,-I was about twenty-five-years-of age, and was recently married.-As-time passed, I almost forgot the incidence, worked normally and had-a beautiful-son.-I felt myself a strong man, and-had-no-worry. Suddenly one day I started feeling strange weakness-and lethargy in my body, and felt a strange odor similar to that of the musk-melon-flower- issuing-from my body. I went-to-consult-Hakim Sahib,-he-reminded-me that it was twelfth month-since-I-was bitten.-The changes taking place in my body were to-invite-and attract the male-snake to bite me. In an-utter panic, I went to consult several hakims, vaids and mantries; all of them told-me it-was-the nuptial odor of female snake, so nothing could-be done.-The odor became stronger day by day and on the-fifteenth of the twelfth month, it was most intensified.
--- That day I felt my body-would-break-down. That day I could not-work.-I-felt-a strange-strong-desire to be bitten by a snake! I felt-I-would enjoy-it as sexual experience, I was in an ecstasy and-rejoiced thinking-that the time was nearing to get my utmost-desire.-At last I saw a snake coming towards me, as it neared I presented to it-my-leg, it bit me on big toe. I felt an- extreme-sense-of enjoyment-and-could not bear it, so I lay down. The-snake-was lying-beside me. When I came to my senses, the snake had-disappeared. For-next ten days I felt very weak. Meanwhile,-I-was-told about-a Pir Buksh Mandri of Piruki, Wazirabad, Gujranwala. As-I met him, he advised me to crush the head and neck of the snake as it comes next time to bite. He assured me if I did this, no snake would ever dare come near me.
            After-six-months, again-I felt-intensification-of-that typical odor in my body. One day when I was preparing fodder for the-cattle, I saw a snake coming, I withdrew in a corner, as-it came-close, I presented my leg to it, as it bit-I put-a-cloth round-its head and crushed it under my teeth. I-felt-something trickling down-my throat. Next morning when I woke-up,-to-my utter-horror,-I felt intensification of the same-odor in-my body! Shortly a snake appeared and bit me. From hence on, my-bad luck took another turn. I was being bitten every day by a-snake! I visited Pir Buksh Mandri, and he told me he could not be of any help.-I-met several jogies, hakims, vaids, sanyasies-and-mandreis.-I-did-whatever I was advised to get rid-of-the-snake menace.-I was told to smoke peacock feather, eat the black-concentrate-of tobacco from inside of hukka pipe, the-most-bitter and-foul smelling thing I ever ate; I took soup of-mongoose;-I wore a piece of skin of Markhoor goat (a mountain goat thought to eat-only snakes) in my neck-- but with no redemption of my sufferings.
            After-six month of the first bite, my son was-born.-Since then my wife had killed about two thousand snakes, out of- which 20-to 25 I ate raw and 25 to 30 after cooking, under the-advice of-various benefactors. One day, when I came to lunch,-my-wife was-lying on a cot, she had been bitten by a snake hiding-under faggots.-From-hence on our hardships took another turn, I-was being-bitten daily and my wife every eighth day. Every time-she felt the same odor.
            It was I'd day,-I was sitting with my family, we were enjoying.-My son was playing in my lap, occasionally I-tickled-him, then-we- laughed together. My wife was busy in-cooking-sweet rice.-My son's legs were on my legs. At the same time-a- snake came-to bit me in routine, during biting, its tooth touched-the lad's-leg.-The-poor-child was also included-in-the-vicious circle; I was being bitten daily, my wife every eighth day and my son-every third month! The only person left, in my house, was my niece who was staying with us and helping my wife with chores. One day-my-wife was lying on a cot and the girl was siting-beside her.-It was the time of the visit of snake; my wife saw it-coming.-She told the girl not to move, but the girl-was-terrified and jumped down from the cot, her foot fell on the snake, so-she was bitten too!-
            An elderly person, with a-long flowing beard, told my-wife to-eat cooked meat of snakes. I collected snakes for 15 days-in an earthen pitcher. I chopped off their heads and tails, and-cut them in pieces, my wife cooked the meat and we ate to our fill. I don't-know why things proclaimed by different-people-as-cures enhanced our-sufferings ?-We ate snake meat in order-to-cure ourselves-of the snake menace but it increased-our sufferings, now-every day four snake came: one for me, second for-my-wife, third for my son and fourth for my niece! We all-were really-in great trouble.
            I-did-my best to avoid contacts with snakes: once I-hung myself-from the ceiling of my room, but within minutes-a-snake came out of the roof and bit me. Next time I decided to remain on my coach after checking it thoroughly, and lo!-A snake came from under the seat of the coach. Oh, I was utterly desperate.----------
            At last, perhaps due to my prayers or prayers of some holy man,-time of my redemption from snake menace arrived. In Novem­ber, 1929, a man from neighboring village came and told me-that famous sanyasi Nanagal Ditta Singh was staying in shamlat (common sitting place for villagers) of his village. People from all over the area were visiting him,-asking for advice-and cure for their ailments.-It was evening, and I almost ran to meet the-sanyasi, without-telling anybody in my house. Sanyasi Ji was lying-on-a mat,-and-two sadhus were sitting beside him. I saluted him-by bowing my head and could not control my tears. I went on weeping, I was out of my wits. Sayasi ji asked me repeatedly what was-the matter-with-me.-I was unable to control myself and-went-on crying.-At last sayasi gave me a pinch of powder and told me to take it with water, which was provided to me by one of the sadhus. I soon felt better. I told him about my miseries. He assured me, that- I would soon-get rid of the snakes.-He was very sympathetic. He told me to come next morning with my family,-and bring 30 seers (about 60 lbs) of goat milk. With strong assurances from the sanyasi I returned. I had no money for the milk,-I borrowed 10 rupees from a friend. Next morning I bought milk, and took my family to the sanyasi ji . The sanyasi was not there; the two sadhus greeted us. They called each other by the name of Bava Sawa Das and Bava Maran Das. They took the milk from me, and ordered three bucketful's of cow-dung. They thoroughly mixed dung with water and let it settle; decanted water from the-surface, thrice-repeating the whole procedure. The washed dung was later mixed with the milk. One of the sadhus gave each of us a pinch of green powder-placed in a batasha-and told us to eat it.-Then they excavated-a pit large enough to contain the-four of-us until-only tops of our heads were visible from outside. We were told to sit in the pit, and the milk mixed dung was slowly poured on our heads, as it descended on our bodies, we felt heat-coming out. We felt it soothing. We sat in the pit for the whole night.
            Next-morning-we were taken out of the pits,-cotton blankets-were-wrapped around-us-and we sat for next two days close to-fire. We-were given bread and milk to eat by the sadhus.-The-day-we descended in the pit was our first day when we were not bitten by snakes.---
            On third day Bava Sawa Das gave us a strange smelling-ointment,-and told us to rub it on our bodies. We readily did-that, and felt stronger. Then he gave me a powder and advised all of us to-take a pinch from it and churn it 101 times in sour milk-and eat it with breakfast every morning. Then one of the sadhus took the hukka and went to east while the other, slung his bag on his shoulder and left to west,-leaving-us behind.-We thought they had gone for some time.-We-sat there waiting for our benefactors, we wanted to offer-them our services-and some presents for the good deed they have done-to us,-but we saw no trace of them. Perhaps Almighty God-had-sent them-only-to redeem us from our agony". Saying this-Jamal-Din lifted-the cloth from his arms and legs, innumerable- fang marks were undeniable proof of the-truth of his strange story.



**********

Comments

Popular Posts